YWCA Cambridge honors the significant contributions of Transition House Executive Director Risa Mednick at their 20th Tribute to Outstanding Women.
Generous friends often ask what the survivors we serve and their children need most. The answer varies from family to family. The best way to support Transition House families directly is with gift cards to area stores. Gift cards offer our program participants the power to choose items they and their children need most. For people who have experienced the trauma of abuse, that freedom is a very important part of the recovery process. We encourage you to partner with friends and purchase gift cards in denominations of $25 to the retailers suggested below. Gift cards can be mailed to: Transition House, 1035 Cambridge Street, B10, Cambridge MA 02141.
Most urgently needed gift cards:
- Whole Foods, Shaw's, Market Basket
- Walgreens, Rite Aid
- Marshalls / TJ Maxx
- Pre-paid Charlie Cards (minimum $10)
- Tags Hardware, Home Depot
Gift cards for other services and opportunities are welcome as well:
- Movie theaters
- Gas stations
- Museum memberships and passes (especially Museum of Science, MFA)
- Tickets to performances and sports events
We always need: (please note, we can only accept these products new/unused)
When individuals and families move into our shelter or longer term housing programs, they are greeted with a pleasantly decorated room of their own, fresh linens on the bed and a basket of toiletries to start them off.
- New hypo allergenic comforters in twin and full sizes (bright, solid colors)
- New 100% cotton sheet sets in twin, full and crib sizes (light, solid colors)
- New standard size hypoallergenic pillows
- New 100% cotton towels (wash cloths, hand and bath towels in light, solid colors)
- Full size toiletries (hypoallergenic body wash, shampoo, moisturizer, wipes, tooth paste, toothbrushes, dental floss)
- Disposable diapers in ALL sizes (open boxes your baby has outgrown are fine)
- Backpacks, diaper bags
- Bike helmets for adults and children
Local services we need on a regular basis:
- Secure storage for client furniture as they await permanent housing
- Help with residential moves (movers and truck for one or two small jobs/month)
Items we sometimes accept very gently used: (please call or email us first at 617.868.1650 or firstname.lastname@example.org)
We sometimes need gently used furniture, electronics, bicycles and kitchen supplies. Please contact us before bringing your donation, as we have very limited storage space. We ask for your consideration in donating only high quality, thoroughly clean, new and very gently used items. Please understand that we can not accept used bedding, towels, mattresses or stuffed toys.
- Living room, office, kitchen and bedroom furniture
- Office furnishings, such as high quality folding training tables, folding chairs and ergonomic desk chairs
- Bicycles (adult 17” and children’s 2-wheelers), locks and panniers
- Housewares, dishes, flatware, etc.
- White noise machines
- Radio alarm clocks
- Cell phones
- Digital cameras
- Recent model strollers and jogging strollers